Maximise Click Through Rate (CTR) with Google Adsense for Blogs

So a while ago I put Adsense on this site, mainly to get myself spidered as I was in the sandbox for building too many quality link backs too fast..(I am king of blog whoring)..

For those that don’t know..

Google AdSense is a fast and easy way for website publishers of all sizes to display relevant Google ads on their website’s content pages and earn money. Because the ads are related to what your visitors are looking for on your site – or matched to the characteristics and interests of the visitors your content attracts – you’ll finally have a way to both monetize and enhance your content pages.

It’s also a way for website publishers to provide Google web and site search to their visitors, and to earn money by displaying Google ads on the search results pages.

Anyway some time back we used to filter the Adsense adverts on, to get rid of both the ones that didn’t pay well and those we thought wouldn’t be interesting to our audience, it made quite a difference to both the click through rate and the earnings. But that was a big site.

Anyway Liewcf posted about a similar thing not long back, so I decided to filter my Adsense ads here to see if it make any difference. It does, not a huge amount, but it is a blog, a fairly low traffic blog.

BTW my referal spam blocking[/url] is going great! I’ve given the files to Suan too, so she can implement the same thing.

So what you need to do, is log into Adsense, go to Ad Settings then click Competitive Ad Filter.

From there you can filter out any URL’s you don’t want to be displayed.

Google says:

Google combines advanced technology with editorial staff to ensure the highest quality standards in our ad program, but we recognize that you may not want certain ads, such as your competitors’ ads, to show on your website. Ads that link to sites on your filter list won’t appear on your content pages. You can update your list anytime, and changes will take effect within a few hours. Please note that filtering sites may decrease your potential earnings and/or the number of ads that can appear on your web pages.

You can find the associated guide HERE.

So I propose we make a community list of blog related URL’s to block from Adsense. Here are the ones I’ve collected in the last couple of weeks, I get virtually no Blog related adverts any more:

If you have collected any yourself that are different from those here, please post them in a comment.

I’ll keep this list updated with the latest version including those in the comments below.

23 Responses to Maximise Click Through Rate (CTR) with Google Adsense for Blogs

1. CS June 8, 2005 at 9:14 pm #

i think these are the ones that you left out. How much does it increase your CTR anyway? My avg is 1.4%, before i implement this was around 1.2%, this month (so far) is 2.4%. =) but mainly because i have been writing alot of geeky stuff (like games and server hosting) lately, which attracted more clicks. Then again, I have my other methods 🙂

2. ShaolinTiger June 8, 2005 at 9:23 pm #

Not really long enough to judge yet, but before was around 0.3% now is around 1.2%

3. NSDS3 June 8, 2005 at 10:39 pm #

Here’s mine. Filtering the ads broke the 1 USD barrier (for me)

4. ShaolinTiger June 8, 2005 at 11:54 pm #

Yeah I’ve almost reached $4 now, woo!

5. god June 9, 2005 at 12:26 am #

now this is great news !!!! thanks bro

6. simon June 9, 2005 at 3:19 am #

hey this is good stuff… nice job.

7. kimberlycun June 9, 2005 at 4:37 am #

wah i just used your entire list. i got 2 clicks liao. cool!!!! thanks

8. ShaolinTiger June 9, 2005 at 6:43 am #

No worries, let’s all be happy together 😀

9. ShaolinTiger June 9, 2005 at 6:44 am #

I’ll keep it updated with the latest ones, so if you have any to add let know.

Just copy and paste the full list now and then.

10. loonatik June 9, 2005 at 7:10 am #

good idea. i’ve imported the list and i presume the above list is of low CPM, right?

11. ShaolinTiger June 9, 2005 at 9:24 am #

Yeah, plus they are are blog related or along those lines, like RSS feeds, so unless you block these you just get loads of blog related articles, not those relevant to your actual content.

12. panadol June 14, 2005 at 10:21 pm #

13. ShaolinTiger June 14, 2005 at 11:23 pm #

Thanks for that list dude, very nice.

I took out all the www. as some were causing duplicates, and took out all the subdomains, as it’s more effective just filter overall domain. I then filtered for unique rows in Excel after combining with my own list. The above is a combination of all.

14. Kenny Sia June 16, 2005 at 10:44 pm #

Aiseh! Thanks. As soon as I get my first cheque I’ll buy you a beer.

15. Mind Sharer - For The Marketing Mind July 16, 2005 at 8:42 am #

If you site is a blog with Adsense, sometimes you may show some irrelevant advertisement because you have “blog” keyword all over your site. What should you do to getting the context back on track? ShaolinTiger came up with an idea to use Competitive A…

16. Blog Professionale July 18, 2005 at 7:23 am #

Se avete un blog con AdSense, avrete notato che buona parte degli annunci sono correlati ai blogs, questo perchè avete la parola “blog” quasi ovunque e quindi molto rilevante.
    Questo però porta degli annunci spesso irrilevanti ed a dei …

17. giasens July 19, 2005 at 5:15 pm #

Thanks ST for the listing. Now all my ads has no blog related =) So far only this

18. Roseanne van Langenberg July 23, 2005 at 6:25 am #

This is a great list – thanks for the start.

I have finally found the “clean” template I have been searching for so long — your navigation menu above and the entire template of the Shaolin Tiger website is perfect.

Is this template unique to BBlog, or are you able to share where I might get the code for this template — does BBlog have a list of templates, just as WordPress users have — like the huge list of templates at Alex King’s Blog for WordPress users, for example?

Roseanne van Langenberg

19. ShaolinTiger July 23, 2005 at 6:57 am #

Hi thanks for the praise 😉

The original template I used is a BBLog template, but it’s fairly simple so could be adapted for anything.

You can find the current template gallery here:

Template Gallery

And download it HERE.

It’s fairly straight forward so you should be able to tweak it to your needs.

20. Marketing Defined July 24, 2005 at 8:15 am #

Here are three Adsense Tips, together with the required HTML code, to dramatically increase CTRs is using images, which has seen a dramatic increase in CTR’s over 400 percent, the second from the Shaolin Blog

21. BooM Date October 18, 2005 at 1:19 am #

well i making some 45 blogs for my site but after the 3 month i always see no result ..wat i do next

22. foreclosure expert April 22, 2008 at 11:02 am #

Facing teh same problem…even after excluding sites, most hits are worth no more than a few pennies…please advise ..thanks